20. SALEM – MOOLAKADU
St. John Bosco; (2011) 2015: Salem
Don Bosco care home Nilavarapatti is one of the reputed organization caters to render its service to the young people who are infected with HIV/AIDS towards a positive approach to life, self – reliant and self – confidence by working with the Government and Non-Governmental organizations and community based organization, thus educating the young people toward critical conscience and moral responsibility and face the future with courage and dignity to realize and build up the kingdom of God.
Don Bosco care home offers help to young at risk with HIV/AIDS in solving issues concerning neglect of children, fear, threats, security and abandonment. To achieve this we provide awareness creation through community organization and employment opportunities. To resolve these issues, and to prevent HIV/AIDS in society, we provide healthy food, decent shelter, periodical medical help, education, counseling and guidance, skill training programmes, spiritual care, sports, and recreational facilities for a holistic and meaningful life for young who are physically vulnerable. To fulfill this, we try to network with government and non-government organizations and with cooperators to educate the young towards future with dignity and self-respect.
- February – 2007 – the land was purchased for the purpose of serving young people who are infected with HIV/AIDS.
- August – 2009 – First building was constructed for the purpose of residential home by Apis group. 12 inmates were residing in the newly constructed house.
- June – 2010 – foundation stone was laid and blessed for the comprehensive care centre by Rev.Fr. Amalraj Susai SDB – the provincial of Trichy Province.
- May – 2011 – Fr. Daniel Sebastian and Fr. Peter Singarayer were appointed as Director and Administrator respectively. The number of boys residing in the residence increased to 21.
- August – 2011 – To mark the bicentenary birth of our congregation’s founder St. John Bosco, the newly constructed house was blessed and inaugurated on august 16th
- 27th October – 2011 – Arrival of Don Bosco casket to Don Bosco Care Home – Nilavarapatti – Salem. New initiatives were taken in different fields like, animal husbandry, Seri culture, fisheries, mushroom cultivation etc.
- September 14th – 2012 – Tailoring centre was inaugurated for the infected HIV/AIDS women near four roads in Salem.
- 26th May – 2013 – New Team of salesians arrived to the Don Bosco Care Home. Xavier Michael as a student pursuing doctoral studies in social work and Bro. Vianney raj as a college student doing his undergraduate in English joined as part of the team to work for the children in Don Bosco care home besides their studies.
- June 2014 – A new outlet and a contact centre in Nilavarapatti was opened to facilitate and create awareness about the institution.
- Don Bosco care home was awarded by the Salem Collector for the innovative services rendered to the children with HIV/AIDS.
CARE HOME: Don Bosco care home is a rehabilitation centre for the HIV/AIDS infected children. At present there are 79 children in the care home. There are 41 orphans and 26 semi-orphans. There are 14 students under ‘after-care’ section (above18). There is a SSA school, a government project, run by the house and there are 35 students. The school has got its own syllabus prescribed by the Government.
Health Care and counseling services: Boys are given regular medical care and counseling assistance. There is a full-time staff appointed to take care of the boys and a part time Doctor and nurse who come on a regular basis for the medical assistance. Weekly once resource person visits the care home for regular counseling for boys. Year plan is prepared. Various activities and programmes are conducted. There are 18 staff members including the cook and the watchman. Two teachers are set aside for teaching in the SSA school.
Community Care is given to 100 infected women in two zones, Salem and Aathur. Provisions, medicines and financial helps are given to these infected women.
5/537, Don Bosco Care Home
SALEM – 636 201
Phone: (0427) 228 1446 House
97511 00447 Office